Fort Christmas - PhotoscapeDesign
Powered by SmugMug Log In

Ft. Christmas - Christmas (April 12, 2006)

Built by Jim Wheeler around 1915, this building began life as a barn. It was converted to a home shortly after its completion. Early rural homes did not have glass windows. Board shutters were opened to allow for light and air circulation. Batten strips were usually placed over the joints in the board siding to seal the building. Notice on this building the narrow wood shingles that were used in place of batten strips, an unusual feature.

The family owned six acres, planted a garden and raised livestock for their own consumption.

In the 1930s, Jim Wheeler sold the property to Andrew F. Tucker. The last resident of the house was Annie Bass, a relative of the Tucker's.

fort christmas christmasflorida