Ft. Christmas - Christmas (April 12, 2006)
During the Second Seminole War (1835-1842), General Eustis, U.S. Army, under the command of General Thomas S. Jessup, moved a column south from Fort Mellon (Sanford, Florida) on the December 17, 1957. The column consisted of the 3rd regiment of artillery, 4 companies of the 3rd and 4th Dragoons and 4 companies of Alabama volunteers. A train of 50 wagons with 20,000 rations moved with it. They hacked their way through cabbage palm hammocks and pine barriers, building roads, upwards of 20 bridges and 7 causeways - to reach this point.
From December 25 through December 27, 1837, about one-half mile north of this site on Christmas Creek, they built a supply depot of pine logs 80 feet square with 2 blockhouses 20 feet square, which they called Fort Christmas, having started it on Christmas Day.
The reconstruction was dedicated on December 17, 1977.